Upper Mustang Trek
“Upper Mustang Trekking is a journey to the former Himalayan Kingdom ‘Lo Manthang’ also entitled as the Last Forbidden Kingdom. It is famous for its unique landscape similar to the Tibetan Plateau with endless expanses of yellow and gray rolling hills.
- Trip Overview
- Detail Itinerary
- Price Detail
- Useful Information
- Trip Map
- Trip Gallery
- Trip Dates
- Optional Activities
Upper Mustang Trek is a journey to the former Himalayan Kingdom which is also entitled as the Last Forbidden Kingdom. The Upper Mustang region lies in the northwestern part of Nepal and at the top of the Kali Gandaki River. From centuries this is most mysterious and least known territory of Nepal.
The landscape of Upper Mustang is similar to the Tibetan Plateau with its endless expanses of yellow and gray rolling hills eroded by the wind. The trekking to Upper Mustang is through a virtually treeless and barren landscape with a rocky trail up and down the hill passing through high peaks, passes, glaciers and alpine valleys which give very different and unique experience to everyone.
Thus, Tilman, a renowned explorer, described this region as “fascinatingly ugly country, the more fascinating for being so little known.”
Here the culture, lifestyle, and heritage remain unchanged for centuries to this date. The interesting thing is although Upper Mustang is part of Nepal it had retained his own King (Raja) in the name of Mustangi Raja until Nepal was declared a republic in 2008. He had a certain amount of autonomy and he was given the honorary rank of colonel in the Nepal Army.
The name of the last king of Lo Manthang is Jigme Palbar Bista. Until his demise in 2016 the people had a great respect and honor for him. The king also used to grant audience the visitors upon request.
His palace of four stories building in the center of Lo Manthang is one of the major attractions of all visitors. Additionally, as this area laying in the Himalaya’s rain shadow, it has much less rain than the rest of Nepal. During Monsoon the skies are cloudy but very little rainfall there. So Upper Mustang trekking can also be evenly enjoyed in Monsoon time as well.
Moreover, Upper Mustang trek is also so called Lo Manthang Trekking since the ultimate destination of this trekking is to visit Lo Manthang, the capital city of Mustang Kingdom.
Upper Mustang Trek- Note:
Upper Mustang Trek is 16 days of the trip. However, the itinerary is likely to be customized. Thus, please let us know if any request you have.
- Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu Airport.
- Day 2 Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara. 200 km- 7 hours of drive.
- Day 3 Fly from Pokhara to Jomsom (Alt. 2720m/8924ft). Flight 30 minutes. Trekking from Jomsom to Kagbeni (2810m/9219ft). Walking 3 hours.
- Day 4 Trekking from Kagbeni to Chele (Alt. 3050m/10007ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 5 Trekking from Chele to Ghiling (Alt. 3570m/11713ft). Walking 7 hours.
- Day 6 Trekking from Ghiling to Tsarang (Alt. 3560 m/11680ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 7 Trekking from Tsarang to Lo Manthang (Alt. 3810m/12500 ft). Walking 5 hours.
- Day 8 Day in Lo Manthang.
- Day 9 Day around Lo Manthang.
- Day 10 Trekking back from Lo Manthang to Drakmar (3820m/12533ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 11 Trekking from Drakmar to Shyangmochen (3800m/12467ft). Walking 5 hours.
- Day 12 Trekking from Shyangmochen to Chhuksang (2980m/9777ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 13 Trekking from Chhuksang to Jomsom (2720m/8924ft). Walking 7 hours.
- Day 14 Fly back from Jomsom to Pokhara.
- Day 15 Drive back from Pokhara to Kathmandu. Evening farewell dinner with Nepali Cultural show.
- Day 16 Final Departure.
Steps of Contact and Booking with us
- Browse our website.
- Select a trip.
- Send an enquiry.
- Get a reply within 24 hrs.
- Discuss Trip details.
- Final your Trip.
- Pay Deposit & Book the Trip.
- Final Payment & Enjoy your Trip.