Upper Dolpo Trek
“Truly Upper Dolpo Trekking is a peaceful and wilderness trip where the local lifestyles are untouched by modernity. They are blending naturally with the Trans-Himalaya. Some of the ancient monasteries and a mountain in this region carry mysticism.
- Trip Overview
- Detail Itinerary
- Price Detail
- Useful Information
- Trip Map
- Trip Gallery
- Trip Dates
- Optional Activities
Upper Dolpo Trek is the journey to the northern part of Dolpo region. Since the northern side of Dolpo is usually called Inner Dolpo this trip is also known as Inner Dolpo Trekking. Opened since 1992 for foreigners this is one of the remote areas trekking destinations of Nepal which has visited by fewer people.
Truly, Upper Dolpo Trek is a peaceful and wilderness trip where the local lifestyles are untouched by modernity. They are blending naturally with the Trans-Himalaya. Some of the ancient monasteries and a mountain in this region carry mysticism and the local people have still been following pre-Buddhist shamanistic Bon-Po religion.
Inner Dolpo remains culturally and religiously linked with Tibet and the people continue to trade with Tibet through the ancient ‘grain for salt’ trade routes. They use yak caravans as transportation. Additionally, like in other Himalaya trekking, mountain views, high passes, rivers, and waterfalls can also be experienced in this trekking.
The major gateway of Inner Dolpo trekking is Juphal which can be accessed by a flight of Kathmandu to Nepalgunj followed by next flight from Nepalgunj to Juphal. Trekking begins along the tropical forests comprising pine trees. Reaching Phoksundo Lake, the deepest lake of Nepal with turquoise blue color water, you explore Bon Po culture at nearby villages and visit Bon Po shrines and monasteries.
After that entering Upper Dolpo region you traverse through high passes and visit Sacred Shey Gompa and Crystal Mountain before coming across the ancient trading hub Dho Tarap. From this village, you retrace your steps to Juphal following Serkam, Khani Ganon, Tarakot, and Duani.
Finally ending this exciting trekking at Juphal, you return to Kathmandu by flight connecting to Nepalgunj. You can get a glimpse of Dolpo by watching the movie named “Himalaya Caravan” the Oscar Award-nominated film based on this region.
Upper Dolpo Trek- Note:
Upper Dolpo Trek is 26 days of the trip. However, the itinerary is likely to be customized. Thus, please let us know if any request you have.
- Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu Airport.
- Day 2 Afternoon Flight from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj (Alt 150m/492ft). Flight 1 hour. Rest of day at leisure.
- Day 3 Morning flight from Nepalgunj to Juphal (Alt 2475m/ 8120ft). Flight 45 minutes. Trekking from Juphal airport to Dunai (Alt. 2140m/7021ft). Walking 3 hours.
- Day 4 Trekking from Dunai to Chepka (Alt. 2670m/8760ft). Walking 5:30 hours.
- Day 5 Trekking from Chepka to Renje (Alt. 2940m/ 9646ft). Walking 4 hours.
- Day 6 Trekking from Renje to Phoksundo Lake (Alt. 3641m/ 11946ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 7 Explore around Phoksundo Lake (Alt 3641m/11946ft).
- Day 8 Trekking from Phoksundo Lake to Chunemba (Alt. 3630m/ 11909ft). Walking 5 hours.
- Day 9 Trekking from Chunemba to Lar Tsa (Alt. 3750m/ 12303ft). Walking 5 hours.
- Day 10 Trekking from Lar Tsa to Mendok Ding (Alt. 4717m/ 15476ft). Walking 3 hours.
- Day 11 Trekking from Mendok Ding to Shey Gompa (Alt.4160m/ 13648ft) crossing Kangla Pass (Alt 5240m/17192ft). Walking 7:30 hours.
- Day 12 Rest and exploration day at Shey Gompa (Alt.4160m/ 13648ft).
- Day 13 Trekking from Shey Gompa to Namgung (4606m/ 15112ft) crossing Shey La Pass (Alt 5100m/ 16732ft). Walking 7 hours.
- Day 14 Trekking from Namgung to Saldang (Alt 3770m/ 12369ft). Walking 4 hours.
- Day 15 Trekking from Saldang to Sibu (Alt 3942m/ 12933ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 16 Trekking from Sibu to the foot of Jeng La (Alt 4369m/ 14334ft). Walking 5 hours.
- Day 17 Trekking from the foot of Jeng La to Tokyu (Alt 4209m/ 13809ft) crossing Jeng La Pass (Alt 5220m/ 17126ft). Walking 7 hours.
- Day 18 Trekking from Tokyu to Dho Tarap (Alt 3944m/ 12940ft). Walking 4:30 hours.
- Day 19 Rest and exploration day at Dho Tarap (Alt 3944m/ 12940ft).
- Day 20 Trekking from Dho Tarap to Serkam (Alt 3630m/ 11909ft). Walking 6.30 hours.
- Day 21 Trekking from Serkam to Khani Gaon (Alt 2550m/ 8366ft). Walking 7 hours.
- Day 22 Trekking from Khani Gaon to Tarakot (Alt 2281m/ 7484ft). Walking 4 hours.
- Day 23 Trekking from Tarakot to Juphal (Alt 2475m/ 8120ft). Walking 7 hours.
- Day 24 Morning flight from Jhupal to Nepalgunj (Flight 45 minutes). Same day flight from Nepalgunj to Kathmandu (Flight 1 hour).
- Day 25 Sightseeing tour to World Heritage Sites of Kathmandu valley. Evening farewell dinner with Nepali Cultural show.
- Day 26 Final Departure.
Steps of Contact and Booking with us
- Browse our website.
- Select a trip.
- Send an enquiry.
- Get a reply within 24 hrs.
- Discuss Trip details.
- Final your Trip.
- Pay Deposit & Book the Trip.
- Final Payment & Enjoy your Trip.