Lower Dolpo Trek
Lower Dolpo trekking is an exotic journey to the hidden land in the corner of Nepal’s western Himalaya. It boasts impressive ancient monasteries, isolated Tibetan style villages, pristine lake, waterfall, high passes, rich wildlife and snowy peaks.
- Trip Overview
- Detail Itinerary
- Price Detail
- Useful Information
- Trip Map
- Trip Gallery
- Trip Dates
- Optional Activities
Lower Dolpo Trek is an exotic journey to the hidden land in the corner of Nepal’s western Himalaya. The journey of Lower Dolpo trekking is visiting the southern part of Dolpo region. It opened for foreigners since 1989.
Dolpo trekking boasts impressive ancient monasteries, isolated Tibetan style villages, pristine lake, waterfall, high passes, rich wildlife and snowy peaks.
Here people have still preserved one of the last remnants of old Tibetan culture with following of Bon-Po religion. Phoksundo Lake, one major highlight of this trip, is the deepest lake of Nepal surrounded by rocky crags and deep forests with salient turquoise blue color water.
The gateway of Lower Dolpo trek is Juphal. It can be accessed by a flight of Kathmandu to Nepalgunj followed by next flight from Nepalgunj to Juphal.
For the first few days the trekking will be passing through the river, tropical forest, barely fields and few meadows to reach Dho Tarap. It is the ancient village where people follow century’s old traditions and customs. Leaving Dho Tarap you traverse two high passes of the Numa La (5290m) and the Baga La (5175m). From these passes, you can enjoy the panoramic views of Dhaulagiri (8167m), Shey Shikhar (6139m) and Tibetan peaks named Kugung La and Khyung La.
After crossing these passes you descend all the way to Phoksundo Lake passing meadow and waterfall in the route. Ringmo village, the Bon settlement, near to Phoksundo Lake is rich in Buddhist and Bon Po culture. Excursions to the ancient monasteries (gompas) and Bonpo shrines surrounding the lake make this trip more worthwhile.
From Phoksundo Lake you return back to Juphal following Chepka and Dunai. Next day you fly back to Kathmandu connecting Nepalgunj.
Lower Dolpo Trek- Note:
Lower Dolpo Trek is 18 days of the trip. However, the itinerary is likely to be customized. Thus, please let us know if any request you have.
- Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu Airport.
- Day 2 Afternoon Flight from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj (Alt 150m/492ft). Flight 1 hour. Rest of day at leisure.
- Day 3 Morning flight from Nepalgunj to Juphal (Alt 2475m/ 8120ft). Flight 45 minutes. Trekking from Juphal airport to Dunai (Alt. 2140m/7021ft). Walking 3 hours.
- Day 4 Trekking from Dunai to Tarakot (Alt. 2540m/8333ft). Walking 5 hours.
- Day 5 Trekking from Tarakot to Laini (Alt. 3370m/11056ft). Walking 6:30 hours.
- Day 6 Trekking from Laini to Nawarpani (Alt. 3475m/11401ft). Walking 5 hours.
- Day 7 Trekking from Nawarpani to Dho Tarap (Alt. 3944m/12940 ft). Walking 6:30 hours.
- Day 8 Explore Dho Tarap (Alt. 3944m/12940 ft). O/n in Tented Camp.
- Day 9 Trekking from Dho Tarap to Numa La Base Camp (Alt. 4440m/14567ft). Walking 4 hours.
- Day 10 Trekking from Numa La Base Camp to Pelung Tang (Alt.4465m/14645 ft). Walking 6:30 hours.
- Day 11 Trekking from Pelung Tang to Dajok Tang (Alt 4080m/13382ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 12 Trekking from Dajok Tang to Phoksundo Lake (Alt 3641m/11946ft). Walking 4 hours.
- Day 13 Explore around Phoksundo Lake (Alt 3641m/11946ft).
- Day 14 Trekking from Phoksundo Lake to Chepka (Alt 2670m/8760ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 15 Trekking from Chepka to Jhupal (Alt 2475m/ 8120ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 16 Morning flight from Jhupal to Nepalgunj (Flight 45 minutes). Same day flight from Nepalgunj to Kathmandu (Flight 1 hour).
- Day 17 Sightseeing tour to World Heritage Sites of Kathmandu valley. Evening farewell dinner with Nepali Cultural show.
- Day 18 Final Departure.
Steps of Contact and Booking with us
- Browse our website.
- Select a trip.
- Send an enquiry.
- Get a reply within 24 hrs.
- Discuss Trip details.
- Final your Trip.
- Pay Deposit & Book the Trip.
- Final Payment & Enjoy your Trip.