“Kanchenjunga Trekking is a journey to the base camps of world’s third tallest mountain ‘Kanchenjunga’. It offers a unique opportunity to explore incredibly varied landscape beneath Mount Kanchenjunga following of traditional rural lifestyle untouched by the outside world.
- Trip Overview
- Detail Itinerary
- Price Detail
- Useful Information
- Trip Map
- Trip Gallery
- Trip Dates
- Optional Activities
Kanchenjunga Trek is an advisable walking excursion because of its visiting base camps of world’s third tallest mountain ‘Kanchenjunga’ which is elevated 8586 meters/ 28169 feet from sea level. Mount Kanchenjunga is located in the eastern corner of Nepal, borderline with India.
Kanchenjunga Base Camp trekking offers a unique opportunity to explore incredibly varied landscape beneath the Mount Kanchenjunga with following of traditional rural lifestyle untouched by the outside world. This vibrant route has been only opened to travel for foreigners since 1988.
The gateway of Kanchenjunga trek is Suketar can be accessible by road and flight. As the direct flight to Suketar from Kathmandu is infrequent and mostly disturbed by cancel due to weather, it is suggested to take 45 minutes of flight from Kathmandu to Bhadrapur then take a drive to Suketar with one day night halt at Birtamod or at Ilam.
From Suketar the trail follows the glinting Tamor River for the first trekking days that allows plenty of time to visit the village and interact with local people. Then it gradually climbs along the Ghunsa River passing forests. In Ghunsa, a Sherpa village marked with prayer flags and gompa (monastery), the route joins with another trail from Kanchenjunga’s southern flank.
Then the trail moves upward to Pangpema, the northern base camp of Kanchenjunga. Upon reaching base camp the short hike up the ridge offers astonishing views of Mt. Kanchenjunga and its surrounding peaks.
The return trip from Pangpema crosses mountain passes between Yalung Glacier and Kanchenjunga Glacier that takes to visit the southern base camp of Kanchenjunga at Ramche. At Ramche you encounter the gigantic Yalung Glacier enclosed by rocky crags and ice precipice.
Visiting the Yalung Glacier, the following days will be retracing your footsteps to Suketar by passing through rhododendron thickets, mountainside villages, waterfalls, and terrace fields.
In Suketar the trekking ends and you back to Kathmandu firstly by drive from Suketar to Bhadrapur with the one-night stopover at Birtamod then flight from Bhadrapur to Kathmandu.
Kanchenjunga Trek- Note:
Kanchenjunga Trek is 28 days of the trip. However, the itinerary is likely to be customized. Thus, please let us know if any request you have.
- Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu Airport.
- Day 2 Flight from Kathmandu to Bhadrapur. Flight time 45 minutes. Drive from Bhadrapur to Birtamod. Driving 40 minutes.
- Day 3 Drive from Birtamod to Suketar. Driving 8 to 10 hours.
- Day 4 Trekking from Suketar to Mitlung (Alt. 921m/ 3021ft). Walking 4:30 hours.
- Day 5 Trekking from Mitlung to Chirwa (Alt. 1270m/ 4166ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 6 Trekking from Chirwa to Sukathum (Alt. 1576m/ 5169ft). Walking 5:30 hours.
- Day 7 Trekking from Sukathum to Amjilosa (Alt. 2308m/ 7570ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 8 Trekking from Amjilosa to Gyabla (Alt. 2730m/ 8954ft). Walking 4:30 hours.
- Day 9 Trekking from Gyabla to Ghunsa (Alt. 3595m/ 11792ft). Walking 7 hours.
- Day 10 Acclimatization day at Ghunsa (Alt. 3595m/ 11792ft).
- Day 11 Trekking from Ghunsa to Kambachen (Alt.4050m/ 13284ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 12 Acclimatization day at Kambachen (Alt.4050m/ 13284ft).
- Day 13 Trekking from Kambachen to Lhonak (Alt 4780m/ 15678ft). Walking 5 hours.
- Day 14 Trekking from Lhonak to Pangpema (Kanchenjunga North Base Camp) (Alt 5388mm/ 17673ft). Walking 4 hours.
- Day 15 Trekking from Pangpema to Kambachen (Alt 4050 m/13284ft). Walking 6-7 hours.
- Day 16 Trekking from Kambachen to Ghunsa (Alt 3595 m/11792ft). Walking 4 hours.
- Day 17 Trekking from Ghunsa to Sele Le (Alt 4290 m/14071ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 18 Trekking from Sele Le to Tseram (Alt 3870 m/12694ft). Walking 7 hours.
- Day 19 Trekking from Tseram to Ramche (Alt 4580 m/15022ft) and return to Tseram. Walking 5 hours.
- Day 20 Trekking from Tseram to Tortong (Alt 2995 m/9824ft). Walking 5 hours.
- Day 21 Trekking from Tortong to Yamphudin (Alt 2080 m/6822ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 22 Trekking from Yamphudin to Phumphe (Alt 1860m/ 6102ft). Walking 6 hours.
- Day 23 Trekking from Phumphe to Kunjari (Alt 1700m/ 5577ft). Walking 5 hours.
- Day 24 Trekking from Kunjari to Suketar/ Taplejung (Alt 2420m/ 7940ft). Walking 7-8 hours.
- Day 25 :Drive from Suketar/ Taplejung to Birtamod. Driving 8 to 10 hours.
- Day 26 Drive from Birtamod to Bhadrapur Airport. Driving 40 minutes. Flight from Bhadrapur to Kathmandu. Flight time 45 minutes.
- Day 27 Half day sightseeing tour to World Heritage Sites of Kathmandu valley. Evening farewell dinner with Nepali Cultural show.
- Day 28 Final Departure.
Steps of Contact and Booking with us
- Browse our website.
- Select a trip.
- Send an enquiry.
- Get a reply within 24 hrs.
- Discuss Trip details.
- Final your Trip.
- Pay Deposit & Book the Trip.
- Final Payment & Enjoy your Trip.