Nepal Entry by Drive
Nepal is landlocked country. There are only two options to entry and exit from Nepal. By flight you can entry to Nepal through its only one international airport in Kathmandu. That is Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA). By drive it has eight entrance points. Out of them six entry points are at the border between Nepal and India and two are at Nepal China border. The immigration office of every point avails Nepal visa for the foreigners visiting Nepal. Here below the list of entry places to Nepal by road.
Entry Points at Nepal India Border
- Kankarbhitta: This is a small town in the eastern Nepal on the border of Nepal and India. It is 610 km away from Kathmandu and takes around 15 hours of drive. The nearest domestic airport is Bhadrapur which is 25 km southwest from Kankarbhitta. The flight duration from Bhadrapur to Kathmandu is 45 minutes.
- Birgunj: This is one of the major commercial borders between Nepal and India. It is also the main entry point to Nepal for Indian tourists especially coming from Calcutta and Patna. This border is about 210 kilometers away from Kathmandu. The nearest airport is Simara which is about 20 km from Birgunj. The flight duration from Simara to Kathmandu is about 20 minutes.
- Jamunaha: This border is nearby Nepalgunj, the south western city Nepal. It is about 530 km away from Kathmandu. It takes about 12 to 13 hours’ drive from Kathmandu to reach there. There are direct flights between Kathmandu and Nepalgunj. The flight duration is 55 minutes. The tourists who come via Indian city of Lakhnau use this border to enter Nepal.
- Mohana: This border lies in Dhangadhi, one of the far western cities of Nepal. The road distance from Kathmandu to Dhangadhi is about 660 kilometers. Although this place does not have much to offer, it is used as an entry and exit point mostly by the Indian tourists as the capital of India, New Delhi is just about 6 hours’ drive from here.
- Gadda Chauki: This border is near to Mahendranagar, a small town that lies in the far western region of Nepal. It is about 18-19 hours of drive and 695 kilometers away from Kathmandu.
- Belhia: This is also famous as Sunauli Border. It is close to Bhairahwa city located in western region of Nepal. From Kathmandu it is 280 kilometers which takes 8 to 9 hours of drive to reach this city. Bhairahawa is also the gateway to Lumbini, the birth place of Lord Buddha. The road distance between this city and Lumbini is just 20 kilometers. From Kathmandu there are daily flights to Bhairawa airport. The flight duration is just 30 minutes.
Entry Points at Nepal China Border
- Kodari: This is first border between Nepal and China accessed by road. It is 114 km away from Kathmandu and takes 6/7 hours of drive. This border is an important trading center between Nepal and China. Besides, it is very famous for its magnificent rivers gorges and splendid scenes of mountains. Close to this border there is famous hot water spring called Tatopani.
- Rasuwagahi (Kerung): This is newly opened border between Nepal and China. It is 150 km of distance from Kathmandu. Syabrubeshi, the gateway of Langtang Trekking is on the way from Kathmandu to this border.